Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://colsan.repositorioinstitucional.mx/jspui/handle/1013/987
Water Poverty Index In Subtropical Zones: The Case Of Huasteca Potosina, Mexico
Briseida Lopez Alvarez
GERMAN SANTACRUZ DE LEON
Jose Alfredo Ramos_Leal
Janete Morán-Ramírez
Acceso Abierto
Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivadas
Calidad de el agua – México – San Luis Potosí
Agua – Abastecimiento – México – San Luis Potosí
"Tools are needed in order to evaluate an integrated water resource management, and to encourage the management and coordinated usage of water resources along with the environmental and socioeconomic factors. One of those tools is the Water Poverty Index (WPI), which enables the evaluation of water poverty in terms of the physical and socioeconomic factors related to water availability. The WPI, as calculated in this study, is derived from the weighted sum of six key components –resources, access, usage, capacity, quality and environment– on a scale of 0 to 100. The objective of this work wasto calculate the Río Valles Basin WPI for 2010. Thisregion is a semi-tropical area with abundant water resources, such as large springs. Its annual mean precipitation is 1100 mm. In the Río Valles Basin, the volume of surface water used per year is 81.33 Mm3, which represents 91 % of the total resource. The volume of groundwater used per year is 8.17 Mm3, representing the remaining 9 %. Usually 45 Mm3/year is stored in La Lajilla dam. These data indicate that surface water is the main source of supply for usessuch as agriculture, which isthe activity with the largest water demand. A WPI score of 59 was obtained for the Río Valles Basin."
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Universidad Autónoma de Tlaxcala, Universidad Veracruzana, Universidad Veracruzana, Universidad Autónoma de Occidente
2015
Artículo
Revista Internacional de Contaminación Ambiental
Español
Estudiantes
Investigadores
Maestros
Público en general
López, B., Santacurz, G., Ramos, J.A. et Morán, J. (2015) Water Poverty Index In Subtropical Zones: The Case Of Huasteca Potosina, Mexico en Revista Internacional de Contaminación Ambiental 31(2). México: Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Universidad Autónoma de Tlaxcala, Universidad Veracruzana, Universidad Veracruzana, Universidad Autónoma de Occidente .
OTRAS ESPECIALIDADES DE LA BIOLOGÍA
Versión publicada
publishedVersion - Versión publicada
Appears in Collections:Artículos PAyS

Upload archives